Monday, August 8, 2011

Why Your Gym Workout Isn't Working


Why Your Gym Workout Isn't Working

Despite best intentions, there are times where I find myself wandering from machine to machine without hopping on any of them. Or even worse, waiting on a seemingly endless line just to jump on a cardio machine (those peak hours get me every time). Sure, I made it to the gym, but was my attempt at a workout even worth it?
workoutworksthumbnail.jpg
While I'll admit not every workout is stellar (hey, no one's exercise routine is perfect right? Except maybe this fit chick's!), there are a few secrets I've picked up from trainers about how to maximize time at the gym to make sure you're getting the most out of your workout. Here's what I've learned:
Problem: The gym is too crowded and I can't get the machines I want!
Gym Fix: Try stopping by off-peak hours! If you can sneak away during the day, the least crowded times tend to be between 2-4PM, says the General Manager at Equinox Tribeca in New York City, Ryan Pastore. If you're chained to your desk, at least try to avoid peak hours which are typically 5:30PM-8:30PM Monday through Friday and Saturday and Sunday mornings from 8:30AM-12:30PM. Try logging your workoutsand adding a note about how busy the gym was to find the perfect time that works for your schedule and your specific gym crowd.
GMmain - Copy.jpg
Don't you wish the gym always looks like this when you need a treadmill?
Problem: I want to maximize fat burn, so which should I do first, cardio or weights?
Gym Fix: 
"Doing weights first can help burn more fat during cardiovascular training. By depleting some glycogen storage during weight training, your body will on more fat for energy," says Marybeth Weiss, T4 coach at Equinox Tribeca.
Problem: I'm crunched for time. How can I get a full body workout on the elliptical?
Gym Fix: 
"To maximize time on the elliptical, grip the handles. Incorporating more muscles groups into your cardiovascular training can increase caloric burn, and adding your arms does just that," Marybeth says. To get the most from the workout, make sure you're using the right grip: "Remember to be in an upright position with your armsextended out from shoulder. Having your arms higher could put unnecessary stress on the shoulder."
Problem: I can't seem to find my 6-pack. How can I sculpt sexy abs fast?
Gym Fix:
 "It is important to do ab/core work in the beginning of the workout. The abs musculature is important for stability and proper movement. Treating the core as a priority will help to facilitate proper movement during resistance training," Marybeth says. "Ab work done standing is a more functional choice, since most sports and other activities are done while standing up or while moving. Try this standing side slimmerfrom Lady Gaga's trainer!


-http://www.self.com/fitness/blogs/freshfitnesstips/2011/08/why-your-gym-workout-isnt-work.html